Friday, June 27, 2008

First day of work

Today was my first full day of work and I would definitely call it a success. My internship placement process was a bit stressful (for those of you who don't know, I was all set and ready to go when, in eighth week, I was forced to urgently choose a new organization). So, I am happy to report that all of the stresses were truly a blessing in disguise. I am working for an organization known as Veerni, which aims to empower rural Rajasthani women and reduce the risks associated with child marriage by developing grassroots educational and health care programs for girls and women throughout the region.

My first major task is to revise an extensive annual report that will be provided to those who have previously given funding and to those who Veerni will be soon approaching for funding. Essentially, I am supposed to make the writing more clear, but also check that its content is appropriate and effective when reaching out to the international non-profit community. Though I was initially unsure about this being my first task (after all, the document is discussing projects that I have not yet worked on), this work may in fact be valuable in contextualizing the projects I will be working on this summer. Also, the organization is recognizing this by sending me out to do fieldwork each morning this next week (Tomorrow, I will be helping Veerni as we host a health care camp outside of a gorgeous local palace. At this camp, anyone can come by and get a checkup and free treatment upon diagnosis)

So, so far, the internship has been great. The staff is extremely friendly and kind, and I think that I will learn a lot from them. I also do think that I will be a valuable member of their team (something I worried would not be true given my lack of Hindi).

Some random thoughts:

The boarding school that Veerni runs is in my office building and will resume in July, which is extremely exciting. While it will not be one of my main tasks, I am excited to be teaching HIV education and English at some point to these girls.

My office has an "office boy"--someone who regularly brings me chai, water, etc. and who needs to unlock the bathroom everytime someone wants to use it. Though this seems to be common in India (multiple maids and servants seem to be in every home and workplace), it makes me extremely uncomfortable to be waited upon, especially because, with my horrid Hindi and his lack of English, we cannot communicate at all.

Got followed home today by a young boy who was in a hysterical fit of laughter. It was kind of cute but awkward, especially after ten minutes straight.

30 cent mango ice cream is delicious.

No photos today, though I did buy my first salwar kameez, so I will have to show that off soon.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I'm so glad everything worked out! It sounds like you're having a great time. Btdubs, I'm here: http://alymaria.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Jules, Amazing and thanks for filling us in! Love, Mom and Dad