Saturday, June 28, 2008

How to eat a mango...the Indian way


1. Hold the mango stem side up
2. With both of your hands, slowly knead it until the insides are all liquidy.
3. If the stem doesn't pop out on its own, bite it off, leaving a tiny, tiny hole.
4. Suck the mango juice through the hole--it will get much larger as you go
5. Take out the pit and suck the extra mango meat off of it

This is far less messy (until the pit part), far more fun and, I think, more delicious because you get all the juicy parts. After only one, I'm officially a convert.


The remains: An intact, and deflated, mango peel






And a photo of the beautiful exterior of my guesthouse


Stay tuned: Another post about my first clinic to come...As well as a call for travel suggestions (my boss requested a generally list of days off asap, so I need to start planning!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cutest picture ever!
i am still a little confused as to how to take the pit out. seems hard/extremely messy. but fun! yes, fun!

how many mangoes do you get to eat a day?

Juliana said...

At about 10 cents a mango, I could eat a million! But because my guesthouse provides all my meals, grocery shopping is not something I regularly do.

That said, Indian mangoes are delicious and I really, really enjoy eating them this new way.