Sunday, June 29, 2008

Where should I go?

My boss would like me to give him some sense of my schedule (i.e. what days I want off) as soon as possible, so I'm attempting to plan my various travels in advance. Here is the current list of places I am trying to visit. If you have been to India, please let me know if you think my predicted length of stay is too long or too short, or if there is any place that I should get rid of (or a fantastic place I've omitted). My travel time is unfortunately very limited, but with night-trains (and maybe a cheap flight or two), I should be able to see a wide range of places.

Mumbai--2 full days (enough time to see the few sites and possibly be an extra in a Bollywood movie--apparently, they hunt guesthouses for foreigners!)

Jaisalmer--2 full days (for a 2-day camel safari and one night camping in the desert); maybe a third day for sightseeing?

Udaipur--2 days, including horseback riding and maybe a cooking lesson

Nawalgarh--for a Bissau festival (maybe)

Jaipur--3 days (for a day in a resource library for my B.A. thesis and two days of sightseeing, hopefully during the Teej festival)

Agra--2 days (enough for the Taj Mahal and a tiny bit more)

Ramdevra--1 day (for a fair)

Bikaner--1 day (maybe)

Delhi--3 days, solely for a conference

And maybe, just maybe, a weekend in a safe part of Nepal or at an ashram (I would love to do a week in an ashram, but they are far away, and I don't have a week to spare)...

2 comments:

Tom said...

Dear Jules,
The trip sounds just amazing! I am glad the practical things are working out. Dad and I are really enjoying reading your Blog (he can't respond because of visual reasons and I think I have finally mastered it---remember they didn't exist when I grew up.) Lots of people have asked to see the blog so we've got several friends and colleagues looking on.
We love you, take care and continue your wonderful work.
Love,
Mom

Colleen said...

Hey, this may be a little late to be of any use, but if you haven't made your Agra plans yet, I would really advise only doing 1 day there. None of us on the Pune program really believed it until we were there, but were all very glad that we did not plan much time there. Go see the Taj and the fort, and then head elsewhere. It's sooo touristy, and they really try to rip you off--for us it wasn't too enjoyable. Maybe you'll think differently, but that's my 2 cents. I would take the extra day and spend it in Delhi--there's soo much to see, I only got to have dinner and see Humayoon's tomb (a must!), and really want to go back.
*head wobble*
Colleen